Monday, October 15, 2012

A new quilt




I haven't had anything to post for a while because I have been busy working on a large wholecloth of my own.  I won't post pictures of it just yet, but this is some of the thread I'm using.  You can see from this that it's not going to be a traditional whitework quilt!


 
 

Since the quilt I worked on with Gail Stepanek is now in Houston all judged and ready to hang in the show, Gail told me I could go ahead and post pictures.  This is Mistaken Identity and I think it's a beauty!  Gail's workmanship is impeccable and I loved working on it with her. 






When I asked her if she had any suggestions for the quilting she thought a radiating design might be appropriate.  That seemed like a good idea to me so I went with that.












Working on the dark fabric was a challenge and I was very thankful to have my little light from IKEA.  But it was still hard to see when I did the tiny stipple around the feathers.  I ended up drawing over that area with white chalk and I could then see my stitches as I
quilted.



 
 
 
The chalk wipes off easily.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We are having beautiful fall weather here in Kansas.  This is a neighborhood cat enjoying the sun in my bag of weeds. He looks very Halloween-y.
 
 
 
 
 






17 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!!! I have used white chalk also to see as i quilt on dark fabric... Your quilting is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! amazing quilt!!! Sooo many stitches... stunning!
    Looking forward to see the quilt you're working on too :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chalk on black idea is brilliant!! Wish I had thought of it. The quilting on this one is amazing - good job getting photos where it shows and thank you so much for sharing them with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilting is totally awesome on this quilt. Wow!
    The neighber kitty found the purrrfect autumn napping place :o)
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, the quilt is beautiful but your quilting is breath-taking. You are #1 in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowwee! Awesome!! I have never thought to use chalk for that purpose, is it just standard chalk?
    You have completed many hours on that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOSH!!!!!! Jan, that it absolutely spectacular quilting. I'm in awe. Thank you for sharing the tip about coloring the black fabric with chalk. And yes - that cat looks terrific. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, radiating is brilliant. I don't know if the quilting is extra Jan-superb, or if it an effect of the black background. But I think 'stunning' is the only word for it. Would love to see this quilt in person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wholecloth threads tease looks extra yummy, and your quilting is AMAZING!! Will you be in Houston this year? If so I hope to see you there. Happy quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning, Jan!!!!!! Can't wait to see your whole cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning piecing and quilting= should win lots of prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful work from both you and Gail! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such stunning quilting! I am also a Kansan. I tried to click on your email link but it wouldn't work. Was wondering where you are in Kansas. You can email me at judy.crowell350@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete