Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My Brunette Whig







This is the third collaborative quilt Gail Stepanek and I have finished.  We actually  finished  it last October but waited until the  first show to post pictures.  I love the names Gail comes up with for her quilts.  This one is made of Whig Rose blocks on a brown background so she named it, 'My Brunette Whig'.





 
 
 
 
 









I like the way the red piping in the binding and the red thread used in the quilting stand out against the dark background.
















This was quilted with several colors of Wonderfil metallic thread; dark brown, copper and red. I also used  Superior So Fine and Aurifil.  I'm an equal opportunity thread user!






 
 
 
 
 
 


I used 2 batts; Hobbs 80/20 and Hobbs wool.













 We were trying to meet the deadline for the Road to California show entry and we were down to the wire. When I got to the border quilting, I was using the dark brown metallic thread and had just one cone of it. Half way across the top border I looked at the cone on the machine and panicked - I was SURE I didn't have enough to do the whole quilt and I was afraid we would miss the deadline.  So I got on the phone and ordered more to be shipped ASAP.  How many cones would I need?  I didn't want to come up short again so I would get 2 plus one more for insurance.  The thread arrived quickly and I got the quilt finished and shipped to Gail FedEx Next Day Air in time for Gail to bind it and photograph it for the entry deadline.  How many cones of brown metallic thread did I end up using?  ONE CONE.  Luckily Gail likes brown backgrounds so I will eventually find a use for 3 cones of dark brown metallic thread!



The happy ending to this story is that 'My Brunette Whig' just won Best Traditional Quilt at Road to California!




18 comments:

  1. Congratulations to both of you! I really like the red and brown combination in this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful right down to the last detail! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! A huge congratulations of the award, the two of you are an amazing team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt! Congratulations on the first of many ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow wow wow what a stunner of a quilt. Congrats on the win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. очень красиво!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulation, I can't wait to see this week in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is gorgeous. I am not surprised that it won such an award!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely spectacular!! Congratulations on your win, well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! that is totally knock out! Congratulations! I'd love to know how many days you spent on that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Oh wow. This is just gorgeous and congratulations on the win.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You two are a great team. The quilts you make are breath taking. I can't wait to see it. This quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the creative addition of the ghost roses in the outer border area. Beautiful quilt. I hope I get to see it at MQX in April. Hmm???

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never would have expected to see or like a brown quilt. But this is just yummy, with the reds and the browns, kind of like chocolate-covered cherries. I love it. Congratulations to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A well deserved win! This is a beautiful quilt. Congratulations to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful work by both you and Gail. Thanks for sharing the photos!!

    ReplyDelete