Ruth has been teaching a class at my LQS on this Eleanor Burns pattern. I find this kind of traditional quilt fun to do and Ruth wanted lots of feathers so I had a good time quilting it.
I did have a terrible time with the backing which was not Ruth's fault at all. It was a good quality wide backing with plenty of extra length and width. When I loaded it is was twisted and contorted on the rollers - which would lead to major pleat problems when quilted. I tried it in both directions with no luck. I kept measuring it, sure I must have made a mistake but it measured as if it were square. After sweating and swearing over the darned thing I finally decided the problem was that it must have been distorted on the roll and although the sides measured as equal, it wasn't a true rectangle. I loaded it one more time and spritzed it heavily with water as I turned the rollers, keeping it pulled taut. It stretched it enough that it straightened it out and finally lay flat. I was then able to quilt it with no problems.
I finished Gail's quilt at the absolute last minute and shipped it to her Next Day Air. That left her 2 days to put on the binding and hanging sleeve, take photos and get it entered online in Road to California by the Oct. 1st deadline. We made it with a few hours to spare! I'll post pictures later.
I panicked and was sure I would run out of the weird brown metallic thread I was using in the border so made a rush order to Wonderfil Thread for three more cones, just to be sure I had enough. I ended up using less than one cone after all. I'm sure I'll find a use for three cones of weird brown metallic thread!