Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A strange alien garden



Kay brought two HUGE tops for me to quilt for her.  She is another one of those over achieving quilters that only makes big quilts with a million pieces in them!  This is Tonga Rhapsody which is a BOM being done by Charlotte's Sew Natural in Newton.


At first I was overwhelmed by the bright batiks and busy blocks and couldn't figure out what to do.  I ended up ignoring the piecing in the sampler blocks and doing a different curvy design in each one.  I drew the design with chalk on each block as I advanced the quilt.










I like the way it turned out and I'm glad I didn't wimp out and do an edge to edge design.



I have served as president of Prairie Quilt Guild for the past year and last night was my last board meeting as president.  Traditionally, the president makes gifts for the board members that have worked so hard all year.  I made 16 of these cute pincushions (from a pattern called Pinballs by Vanilla House Designs) for my board members.





Don't they look like a strange alien garden?  I had to visit every thrift shop in Wichita to find all the old candlesticks!






To beat the heat I have been taking my walk early in the day; when I leave the house the stars are still out.  This little guy gets up early too.








2 comments:

  1. I am in a Tonga BOM, thanks for showing the finished quilt. I like the idea of not doing an all over quilt design. Also like that Charlotte replaced some of the colors in the BOM to suit herself, I like the extra blue.
    The pincushions do kinda look like an alien garden. Love the bright colors you used.
    Thanks for taking me along on your walk, now I need to get off my duff and go on my own walk. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night when I brought my pincushion into the house, all 3 people there turned, looked and after a pause said, "What is that?!?" I tell you I live in a desert of creativity and imagination! Thanks again for a great year!

    ReplyDelete